Graduation Cake

Wow! It's been over a month since my last post! I have been super busy with orders, so I will have a lot to share with you over the next few weeks.

Here is a graduation cake I made last week. This one is a little different than a usual high school graduation cake...it also includes the graduates future college.  Andrew graduated from St. Michael's Catholic Academy and will attend Rice University in the Fall, where he will also play on the football team.
The client wanted to include the colors and mascots for both schools. I immediately thought of making a two tiered cake, the top with high school and the bottom with college. Both schools use the color gray, so that was a good way to tie the two tiers together. 
Here is the first sketch I drew. 


 However, she wanted a sheet cake instead. It took a few sketches to figure out how I would do this, but finally decided to split the cake "in half" by changing the color of fondant in the middle.
Here is a sketch for this idea.



And the final product....



I hand-cut the school logos and then either painted or piped the details on. The graduation hat and football are made out of crispy cereal treats. 


 I think it turned out great, and the client was very happy. Congrats Andrew!!

Comments

Popular Posts