Happy Mardi Gras!

Growing up in Louisiana means you eat lots of King Cake for about a month before Mardi Gras. When I moved to Austin, I couldn't believe that most people had never heard of a King Cake!! There are very few grocery stores that sell them and most specialty bakeries don't make them....so, I decided I needed to find a great recipe and make my own!  Well,  I succeeded and my King Cake is so yummy!!
For those of you that don't know much about Mardi Gras, here is a tidbit of history....
Mardi Gras is a French Catholic tradition and begins on Epiphany (a Christian feast day that celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ) and ends on Ash Wednesday (the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of adherents as a sign of mourning and repentance to God). Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" and refers to the practice of the last night of eating rich, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten Season (beginning Ash Wednesday). The King Cake gets its name from the three kings who visited baby Jesus when he was born. It is a cinnamon roll type cake, usually with a filling, and topped with icing and colored sugar. Tradition usually calls for a plastic baby to be hidden in the cake (symbolizing baby Jesus). Whoever receives the piece of cake with the baby has various obligations to follow (i.e. they have to purchase the next King Cake). 




I also have Mardi Gras mask cookies available for sale, too!



Please contact me for any orders!



I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's Day tomorrow! Thanks to all of you that ordered goodies from me...I hope your special one enjoys them!





Comments

Popular Posts